13 January 2009

Linus Gets Misty-Eyed Over the Sinclair QL

Apparently the Sinclair QL (remember the microdrives?) turned 25 yesterday (or thereabouts). One rather famous former owner was Linus; to begin with, he seems unimpressed by this historic moment:

when somebody sends me an email saying that the Sinclair QL turned 25 years old yesterday, and that I should mention it on my blog, I just went "hmm". Because while I had one and loved it, I have to say that I was so much happier with the PC I ended up replacing it with, and decided that I'll never use an odd-ball machine ever again.

But once you've leapt the Quantum Leap, you're never the same again, as Linus finally admits:

the email from Urs K├Ânig (aka cowo) did end up festering in my mind and brought back fond memories. So here we are, twenty five years and one day later, and I'm writing a shout-out to the QL anyway. It was odd, and it was flaky to the point of being the only machine I had to do hardware surgery on to make stable and useful, but I guess I was at an impressionable age. And while I don't think there were many QL's that ever made it outside Britain, it was an interesting machine for its time.

I'm sure that made Sir Clive's day.

2 comments:

Dilwyn Jones said...

Although the original QL was infamous for its microdrives etc, some of us keep using a QL derivative system (Aurora, Q40, QPC2, QemuLator, QL2K etc) to this day. And its user group Quanta is still goingwww.quanta.org.uk They are hosting a QL Is 25 get-together at Allesley Hotel nr Coventry, England on 18/19 April 2009 for both current and past users!

glyn moody said...

Interesting - thanks for the info. I hope the get-together goes well.