30 May 2008

Absurdistan Strikes Again

A little while back I was bemoaning this kind of stuff:


Unbelievably it calls itself Digistan, apparently to indentify with the fascist terrorists based in countries and regions using the Farsi-based suffix “stan.”

I see that the Sultana of Absurdistan, Michelle Malkin, has managed to top even that:

The US chain Dunkin' Donuts has pulled an advert following complaints that the scarf worn by a celebrity chef offered symbolic support for Islamic extremism.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I don't always totally agree with Michelle, she is more than a blogger. She does have a blog, but she for many years was a nationally syndicated columnist. I read her columns in newspapers all over the country.

Let us look at another example where it was not conservatives, but liberals who made a big fuss over nothing.

Does anyone remember when Republican Trent Lott made a nonsensical flattering remark at the birthday of an old man, and you liberals decided his remarks had deep racial connotations? Hounded him right out of his leadership role when what he said had nothing to do with racism.

So, in comparison removing an ad which invoked in many people negative connotations dwindles to nothing.

Glyn Moody said...

Well, far be it from me, as a blogger, to cast aspersions on the state of bloggerhood: I have more problems with syndicated journalists.

I'm afraid I don't remember the episode you mention, but I'm sure you're right that absurdity is found spread across the political spectrum.

And thanks for generic "you liberals": sounds like a badge of honour, to me, since I seem to recall the liberals have something to do with liberty, which is what free software is all about....