16 June 2008

Polishing the Firefox 3.0 Download Pledge

Pledging to download Firefox 3 tomorrow is clearly a totally pointless activity (yes, I've done it, anyway), and yet some interesting factoids can be gleaned from the relevant page.

For example, despite - or maybe because of - its dismal showing in overal installed base, the UK's pledges stand at a decent 54,000 currently. This compares fairly well with Germany (55,000), Italy (56,000) and France (69,000). The real surprise, for me at least, is Poland, currently on 90,000: impressive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm certainly willing to participate, but I'm glad I didn't pledge.

Today is supposedly FF3 Download Day, but when I go to download it, I'm still being pointed at FF2. When I try to get FF3, it's still listed as firefox3rc3 (release candidate 3, not final release), which I already have.

Apparently the official release hasn't happened yet. Curious - I haven't been able to find any news on the situation. I'm getting lots of timeout errors at the download site, so it looks like lots of people are trying to participate, but I sure can't find an official FF3 release to download!

Anonymous said...

OK, I just read your article on Linux Journal, and I couldn't agree more. This confused (and confusing) start was not well-thought-out. It's just now "launch time", and the servers are unreachable. I get a timeout error every time I try to connect. It would have been much better to spread the load and avoid the confusion by launching at 12:00 GMT like you suggested.

Bone-head mistake Mozilla. I'll eventually get the FF3 upgrade, but I'm not going to play this game today, fighting overloaded servers (ever hear of Akami), and I imagine there are many more who feel the same way. Kiss your download record goodbye.

Thanks for clearing it all up, Glyn.

Glyn Moody said...

All part of the service...