03 August 2006

Don't Burn, Baby, Don't Burn

I have this vague feeling that I really ought to get excited about Rollyo, but for the life of me I can't think why I want to search a maximum of 25 sites: me, I like roaming through the odd billion, because you never know what you're going to find.

Nonetheless, this story on TechCrunch about Rollyo caught my eye for the following comment at the end:

The founder, Dave Pell, is a well known angel investor in Silicon Valley and could easily raise money for the company. But instead of looking for a large venture round of financing, he’s self funded Rollyo and has only one full time employee. By keeping the burn rate super-low, Rollyo can stay the course.

Absolutely, and I bet I know why he can keep that burn rate super-low: because he's running open source software - practically a given when it comes to Web 2.0 start-ups .

No comments: