15 August 2006

Gecko Turns into a K-Meleon

One of the great things about free software is that anyone can build on the work of others. For example, the Gecko engine lies at the heart of plenty of projects, from Firefox down, and it seems that someone else has joined the club.

Called K-Meleon (think about it - it only took my a 20 minutes to get it), it claims to be "an extremely fast, customizable, lightweight web browser for the win32 (Windows) platform". Here are the screenshots.

At the moment it's hard to tell what purpose K-Meleon serves, but then the same could have been said about Firefox in the early days. Except that it was called Phoenix then - and note the interesting reference to another browser called, er, K-Meleon on this page. (Via Lxer.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you discovered K-Meleon. However, I took over project mannagemtent in early 2001 after the initial release happened in 2000. So it's not exactly something new :-)

Glyn Moody said...

I did gather that - hence my comment about the Phoenix page. However, I must confess I only came across it this week. Maybe I've led a sheltered life....