22 July 2008

CherryPal Cloud-Ripe?

The Asus Eee PC was a precursor of this idea:


The C100 runs an embedded customized version of the Debian Linux operating system, but the machine's makers say its main operating system is the Firefox Internet browser.

"The operating system is not exposed to the user. So the user experience is, you turn it on, fire it up and then you see the log-in screen, user ID and password. The next thing you see is the mandatory landing page -- the Firefox browser," Seybold told TechNewsWorld.

All system-related commands are accessed through the browser, and all applications are loaded via the browser, he continued. "The operating system itself is not exposed. That's for two reasons. One is that people don't like the idea of Linux because it has a geek reputation, the other reason is that it [allowed us] to reduce the overall footprint of the OS, and that has a direct impact on the overall performance and the perceived user experience," Seybold explained.

I'm sure we'll be seeing many more such systems.

1 comment:

Solmn said...

Thank you for talking about the CherryPal C100. I am linking to this page from my blog, CherryPal for Everyone, at http://cherrypal.blogspot.com

Please come visit. I am excited
about how the CherryPal can bridge barriers to people who have not had access to computers or the internet because of money, fear, education or other challenges.

I will be commenting on my experience of using it on my blog as soon as I get my own CherryPal C100!

CherryPal for Everyone http://cherrypal.blogspot.com
Use CODE CPP206 for $10 off CherryPal purchase price at Paypal http://72.51.37.17/shop/