06 August 2008

Solving the Mono Problem

Alan Lord grapples manfully with Mono:


The nasty taste which has always ‘ever-so-slightly’ tainted my use of Ubuntu is that Mono is there only to support applications written in languages and for platforms which are basically Microsoft’s. It encourages software development using systems that are based on technologies almost certainly encumbered by a whole raft of M$ patents. To my mind, there are many great non M$ languages and architectures out there which are almost part-and-parcel of Linux programming and I see no need to bring .NET, ASP or even Visual Basic to my desktop. If I want to write an application, I could use PHP, Python, PERL, C, C++, Java and, of course, many others. Why do I need to endorse and encourage the proliferation of non-free software by relying on M$’s IP and the smell of their stinky patents?

Interesting discussion of what happens when you rip Mono out of Ubuntu: nothing, it seems....

3 comments:

The Open Sourcerer said...

Thanks Glyn,

This post has struck a real nerve... I was just scratching an itch and the amount of traffic and comments it has resulted in clearly show that it matters to quite a few people.

Al

Glyn Moody said...

Yes, I noticed that from the comments. That's one reason why I thought I'd add my ha'porth of linking....

Anonymous said...

hmm that's really bad