19 August 2009

Cor! - UK Pirate Party's Smart Move

The UK Pirate Party has published its "core beliefs":

1. The reform of Copyright and Patent Laws

2. The protection of our Right to Privacy

3. The protection of our Right to Freedom of Speech

What's interesting is how tightly focussed the Pirate Party is. I think that's wise: otherwise it would just become another Raving Monster Loony Party. By restricting its message to an area that it understands, and which is crying out for reform, I'm sure it will benefit in the long run. It will also, usefully, force the other parties to frame their own responses in this domain.

Follow me @glynmoody on Twitter and identi.ca.

6 comments:

porl sheean said...

unfortunately i think the name 'pirate party' will push credibility away from them. people will see that name and just switch off, no matter what they are saying.

Glyn Moody said...

@porl: yes, I think you're right for those *older* people that care about such things, but I suspect it will mainly be the younger ones that support it - and they may well be attracted...

Perry said...

I'm older (43), so maybe I'm one of those who don't get it. However, I both agree and disagree with Glyn's point. I don't think the fact that "Pirate" will be seen as something young or frivolous is an issue.

However, a pirate is one who steals what he has no right to and harms the rest of society. Their whole point is that everyone **has** a right to the material they are trying to free, and society is harmed by others restricting what can be done with that material. I think that name implies that they are trying to steal others' material to the detriment of society, which is exactly what the RIAA and others have been saying.

For the record, I agree with most of the Pirates' Party platform, but just wish they weren't branding themselves as thieves.

Glyn Moody said...

@Perry: I agree it's problematic. For ages, I've fought against the RIAA using "pirates" to brand copyright infringement, so it's a bit awkward when those seeking copyright reform start using the term. But maybe they're winning it back....?

Crosbie Fitch said...

It's worse than you think, someone's written a pirates' code that's even more extreme than the PPUK's position: http://www.digitalproductions.co.uk/index.php?id=185

Glyn Moody said...

@crosbie: thanks - I'd missed those when they first came out. They're memorable and well articulated.